buynow   buynow   buynow   buynow
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:42 am 

MILWAUKEE -- Matt Carpenter knew he had done something special. The St. Louis Cardinals are confident there is more to come, too. Carpenter broke Stan Musials team record for doubles by a left-handed batter in a season as the Cardinals beat the Milwaukee Brewers 7-2 Saturday night to maintain a two-game lead in the NL Central. Carpenters fifth-inning double was his 54th one more than Musials total in 1953. Carpenter went into the game aware he was tied with Stan the Man. "To know that you have done something, took a record from (Musial) or broke a record that he held, you cant put it into words," Carpenter said. "It is pretty amazing. It is something I am extremely proud of and definitely a cool thing." Carpenter grounded out to start of the game and flied out in the second. But with two outs in the fifth, he hit a shot into the right-field corner to set the mark. "Someone had mentioned to me that I tied him last night, so when I hit it today, I knew," Carpenter said. "I got the ball and I got the base, so pretty cool." Despite his personal success, Carpenter and the Cardinals know they have more to do. "The only thing on my mind is the division championship," he said. "If I can do my job to help us win, then all those individual things will take care of themselves. The Cardinals lead Pittsburgh by two games and are ahead of Cincinnati by three games. St. Louis won for the 12th time in 17 games and improved to 14-4 against the Brewers this year, including 8-1 in Milwaukee. "We dont shy away from the fact that anything you get to play after game 162 is special," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said. Lance Lynn (14-10) allowed one run, four hits and four walks in 6 1-3 innings. He had been 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA in eight starts since winning at Cincinnati on Aug. 4. "It is the same motto weve had all year, one game at a time," Lynn said. "That is all you can worry about." Lynn has made a career-high 32 starts this year, including four against the Brewers. He had a rough first inning, but after that nothing bothered him. "He was struggling a little bit," Matheny said. "Once he found that groove, and you could tell found that four-seamer, it was a completely different game." Yovani Gallardo (11-10) gave up two runs and four hits in seven innings and dropped to 1-11 with a 6.46 ERA in 17 career starts against St. Louis. Matt Adams hit a two-run homer for the second straight night, putting the Cardinals ahead in the first. Davis hit an RBI grounder in the bottom half, but the Cardinals blew open the game in a five-run eighth. "He hits mistakes," Gallardo said. "Hes one of those guys that got a lot of power. It doesnt take much for him to hit the ball hard somewhere." NOTES: Brewers players drove through the parking lots and tossed bobbleheads and T-shirts to surprised tailgaters after batting practice, part of an effort to thank fans at the end of a disappointing season. ... Cardinals GM John Mozeliak said that INF-OF Allen Craigs left foot will be re-evaluated at the end of next week. Hes missed 16 games since spraining his left foot Sept. 4 at Cincinnati. Chuck Foreman Jersey . Most important, perhaps, it went off without a hitch. Organizers poked a little fun at the now-infamous opening ceremony gaffe that saw only four out of five snowflakes open up into rings, leaving the Olympics logo one ring short. Chris Doleman Youth Jersey . The 43-year-old closer, in his 19th and final big league season, has said hed like to play the outfield. Yankees manager Joe Girardi says hes thinking about allowing Rivera to do it this weekend, when the Yankees finish their season with a three-game series at the Houston Astros. http://www.authenticvikingsgears.com/Women-Andrew-Sendejo-Vikings-Jersey/ . The Swede became the first golfer to win the PGA Tours FedEx Cup and European Tours Race to Dubai in the same season. "It is still taking a little time to sink in what Ive achieved this week as was the case when I won the FedEx Cup but then it just kept getting better and better as the days went on and I am sure this will be the same," he said. Terence Newman Vikings Jersey . Jordan Lynch, the all-purpose Heisman Trophy finalist from Northern Illinois, failed to make it into that exclusive club. Cris Carter Jersey . -- Catcher Brett Hayes has agreed to a $630,000, one-year contract with the Kansas City Royals, avoiding salary arbitration.ST. LOUIS -- A week ago, Jaroslav Halak couldnt wait to get off the ice and find a place to hide. Hed been no relief at all after replacing Brian Elliott in net in New Jersey and was embarrassed along with the rest of St. Louis Blues. "I can speak for myself: I was hoping the game was over after the second period," Halak said. The bad taste is all gone now. Alexander Steen gave the Blues the early lead and Halak earned his fourth shutout of the season and was the games first star in a 3-0 victory over the Devils on Tuesday night. New Jersey had 23 shots, the same as it needed in a 7-1 rout at home last week, but, this time, had nothing to show for it. "It was weird, going to New York and getting back and playing Jersey again," Halak said. "It was a good thing we got it over with and we didnt have to wait." Brenden Morrow added a power-play goal midway through the third period and Maxim Lapierre scored into an empty net with 2:08 left. Patrik Berglund assisted on both third-period scores. "I think the more we learn from those types of games the better, because thats never a good recipe when youre chasing games," Morrow said. "Good teams stay with their structure, stay with their system and let that roll over and get back into the game that way, and I think we learned our lesson there." The Blues have won three straight and moved a point ahead of the Blackhawks, who played later at Calgary, for the Central Division lead. St. Louis cleaned up on defence a week after getting whipped in New Jersey when Halak allowed four goals in 14 shots after relieving Elliott. Halak has started all three games since that setback, allowing a total of four goals. Hes 7-1-1 in his last nine starts with a 1.77 goals-against average and .940 save percentage. The Devils mustered little offensively coming off a 7-3 loss to the Rangers at Yankee Stadium on Sunday. They were shut out for the sixth time, although this was the first time in 35 games. "Well, we didnt have many chances to score, but they played great tight defence and we had nothing," said forward Jaromir Jagr, held to two shots. "We had chances but not 100 per cent chances." The Devils have the NHLs second-best power play but were 0 for 5 against Halak.dddddddddddd. "Two totally different games," coach Peter DeBoer said. "Both goaltenders were very good. I dont think that was the case last week in New Jersey." The Blues are an NHL-best 17-3-1 against the Eastern Conference, and 9-0 at home. Steen was the NHLs second-leading goal scorer in late December before missing 11 games with a concussion. Hes been back six games and has a point in the last five with three goals and four assists. "He is a very dynamic player," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "For him to get to the elite level where he was before, I think he just has to learn to get back to the right balance between reward and risk. "He had an unbelievable balance of reward and risk going before he got hurt." Halak and Brian Elliott have combined for seven shutouts this season. Halak has won four straight starts with two shutouts this month, and holds the franchise mark with 20 shutouts in four seasons. Morrow deflected a waist-high shot past Cory Schneider for his eighth goal and first point in nine games, capitalizing on a tripping call against Bryce Salvador. St. Louis killed off Roman Polaks high-sticking penalty just nine seconds into the game, and then took the lead on Steens 27th goal at 3:25. Steen scored his 100th goal in six seasons with St. Louis scoring from the slot on an odd-man rush with assists by Jaden Schwartz and David Backes. Alex Pietrangelo took a holding call foiling a break-in by Stephen Gionta late in the period and, again, the St. Louis penalty killers came through. The Blues Vladimir Sobotka hit the goal post on an odd-man rush with just under five minutes to go. The Devils played in St. Louis for the first time since Nov. 20, 2010, a 3-2 Blues victory. NOTES: NFL Hall of Famer Dan Dierdorf, who recently retired from broadcasting, wore a Blues jersey with his number 72 while watching from a private box. ... New Jersey is 5-16-3 when trailing after two periods. ... Jagr had totalled two goals and four assists the previous four games. ... Steen has seven game-winners in 41 games this season. The previous two seasons, he totalled six game-winners in 83 games. wholesale jerseys cheap jerseys cheap nfl jerseys wholesale jerseys cheap soccer jerseys wholesale jerseys wholesale jerseys cheap nfl jerseys china ' ' '