buynow   buynow   buynow   buynow
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:41 am 

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball umpire Wally Bell died of an apparent heart attack Monday, a week after working the NL playoff series between the Pittsburgh Pirates and St. Louis Cardinals. He was 48. The commissioners office said Bell died in his home state of Ohio. Bell had not been feeling well over the weekend and had been scheduled to see doctors later Monday at the Cleveland Clinic. Bell had quintuple bypass surgery on Feb. 18, 1999, that left him with an 8-inch scar down the middle of his chest. His father survived two heart attacks before he died. "All of us at Major League Baseball are in mourning tonight regarding the sudden passing of Wally Bell," Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "I always enjoyed seeing Wally, who was a terrific umpire and such an impressive young man. On behalf of our 30 clubs, I extend my deepest condolences to Wallys family, fellow umpires and his many friends throughout the game." Bell was the first active MLB umpire to die since John McSherry passed away of a heart attack on the field in Cincinnati on opening day in 1996. Bell worked the 2006 World Series and three All-Star games, including this years event at Citi Field, where he was stationed at first base. A veteran of 21 big league seasons, he had also worked four league championship series and seven division series since joining the major league staff in 1993. "It was a devastating loss for us. Wally was a true umpires umpire," said Gerry Davis, crew chief for the NL championship series. "I think if youll check with the players and teams they felt the same way because Wally always gave 110 per cent on the field." The umpires for Game 3 at Dodger Stadium heard about Bells death an hour before they took the field. "We had to regroup rather quickly and put our concentration where it needed to be," Davis said after Los Angeles beat St. Louis 3-0. "We kept telling each other that thats the way Wally would have wanted it, and we know that thats really true. One of the things that we shared in the locker room afterwards is that Im sure hes very proud right now," he said. Several players from around the majors expressed their condolences on Twitter. Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis wrote: "Wally kept game fun and loose and I always looked forward to catching with him behind plate. I will miss his personality and professionalism." Boston pitcher Jake Peavy: "Just heard the news & devastated about the passing of Wally Bell. A great umpire, a great man." Toronto slugger Jose Bautista: "He always had great spirits on the field, i will always remember how he teased me about my beard." Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino: "My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Wally Bell. So sad to hear (and) will remember him tomorrow as I take the field." According to Bells biography on MLB.com, his proudest moment as a big league umpire was returning to the field after having open heart surgery. Two of his arteries had been 100 per cent blocked, two more had been 80 per cent blocked, another 70 per cent. Bell came back 11 weeks after his heart problem was detected for a game in San Diego. That night, plate umpire Mark Hirschbeck took the first ball out of play and kept it as a souvenir for Bell. "I am deeply saddened and shocked at the loss of umpire Wally Bell," said Joe Torre, MLB executive vice-president for baseball operations. "Umpiring was his life, and he touched so many people within the game of baseball. Aside from being an accomplished, All-Star-caliber umpire, Wally was a loving dad to his two teenage children. I extend my deepest condolences to them, his girlfriend Renee, the rest of his family and his admirers across Major League Baseball." During the 2013 regular season, Bell was a member of Tim McClellands crew. "Wally was a great umpire, a great partner and a great friend. The umpiring community is deeply saddened by this tragic loss. He will be sorely missed by many," said major league ump Joe West, President of the World Umpires Association. Bell is survived by his son, Jason, and daughter, Lindsey. Scarpe New Balance 574 Offerte . Irving scored 23 points, Tristan Thompson had 20 points and 10 rebounds and the Cavaliers beat the Denver Nuggets 117-109 on Friday night. Nike Air Force 1 Low Prezzo . Belfort (24-10) needed just 77 seconds to down Henderson in the headlining bout of Saturdays "UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson" event at Goiania Arena in Goiania, Brazil. The fight served as a rematch of the pairs 2006 meeting, which Henderson won by decision. http://www.itscarpenikesaldi.com/nike-air-max-97.html . "It doesnt get any better than that," Giambi said. "Im speechless." The Indians are roaring toward October. Giambi belted a two-run, pinch-hit homer with two outs in the ninth inning to give Cleveland a shocking 5-4 win over the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday night, keeping the Indians up with the lead pack in the AL wild-card race. Nike Roshe Run Shop Online Italia . "It doesnt get any better than that," Giambi said. "Im speechless." The Indians are roaring toward October. Giambi belted a two-run, pinch-hit homer with two outs in the ninth inning to give Cleveland a shocking 5-4 win over the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday night, keeping the Indians up with the lead pack in the AL wild-card race. Adidas Zx Flux Prezzo Basso . Supported by three-run homers from Jayson Werth and Wilson Ramos, the young right-hander went seven strong innings in the Washington Nationals 8-4 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday night.HALIFAX -- Jonathan Drouin scored three times as the Halifax Mooseheads edged the host Charlottetown Islanders 4-3 on Friday in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League action. The 19-year-old has been hot for Halifax as hes registered nine goals and 19 points in his last six outings and his performance extended his point streak to 10 games. Timo Meier also scored for the Mooseheads (18-8-0), who extended their win streak to six games. Jack Nevins scored twice for the Islanders (12-9-3) while Alexis Pepin had a goal and an assist. Halifaxs Zachary Fucale made 31 saves for his 15th victory of the season. Charlottetowns Antoine Bibeau turned away 30-of-34 shots. The Mooseheads went 2 for 6 on the power play while the Islanders scored once on three chances with the man advantage. --- TITAN 2 WILDCATS 0 BATHURST, N.B. -- Jacob Brennan turned aside 29 shots as the Titan blanked Moncton for their third win in a row. Patrick Walsh and Scott Oke scored for Acadie-Bathurst (10-12-2) while Alexandros Soumakis assisted on both. Alex Dubeau made 26 saves for the Wildcats (11-15-1). Monctons Mark Simpson led all centres by winning 20-of-28 faceoffs. --- OCEANIC 3 SCREAMING EAGLES 0 SYDNEY, N.S. -- Anthony DeLuca scored twice and set up one more as Rimouski shutout Cape Breton. Michael Joly had a goal and an assist for the Oceanic (14-7-4) while Zachary Fortin stopped 27 shots for his third-career shutout. Chase Marchand made 28 saves for the Screaming Eagles (11-10-3), who lost in regulation for the first time in six contests. Cape Breton went 0 for 5 on the power play while Rimouski never had an opportunity with the man advantage. --- REMPARTS 4 CATARACTES 0 QUEBEC CITY -- Francois Brassard turned back 29 shots as the Remparts defeated Shawinigan. Anthony Duclair scored twice for Quebec (12-8-5), which has won three of its last four games, while Cody Donaghey and Nick Sorensen had the others. Zachary Taylor was a team-worst minus-3 for the Cataractes (3-18-2), who sit last in the QMJHL standings. Marvin Cupper stopped 31-of-34 shots in defeat. --- PHOENIX 6 SEA DOGS 3 SHERBOROOKE, Que. -- Jean-Francois Plante scored two goals and Tim WWieser had three assists as the Phoenix doubled up Saint John.dddddddddddd Jason Houde and Simon Desbiens each had a goal and an assist for Sherbrooke (9-12-2) while William Couture and Daniel Audette added a goal apiece. Matthew Highmore scored twice for the Sea Dogs (6-15-2), who are winless in five contests, and Olivier LeBlanc had a goal and an assist. Phoenix goaltender Gabriel Parent made 24 saves for the win as Sebastien Auger turned back 27 shots for Saint John. --- ARMADA 3 TIGRES 2 (SO) VICTORIAVILLE, Que. -- Marcus Hinds scored the winner in the sixth round of the shootout as Blainville-Boisbriand edged the Tigres. Danick Martel scored the Armadas (17-3-2) opening goal and then set up Nikita Jevpalovs in the third period to force overtime. Philippe Hudon and Tommy Veilleux scored less than two minutes apart early in the third period for Victoriaville (10-12-1). Etienne Marcoux made 31 saves for Blainville-Boisbriand. Brandon Whitney stopped 41-of-43 shots for the Tigres. --- FOREURS 5 DRAKKAR 4 (OT) BAIE-COMEAU, Que. -- Guillaume Gelinas scored 2:04 into overtime as Val-dOr came from behind to beat the Drakkar and extend its win streak to five games. Samuel Henley had two goals and an assist for the Foreurs (15-9-0), who trailed 4-2 after 40 minutes. Anthony Mantha scored once and assisted on two others. Anthony Richard added a single goal for Val-dOr. Frederic Gamein had a goal and an assist for Baie-Comeau (15-5-4) while Nicholas Halagian, Alexandre Ranger and Denis Gorbunov also scored. Francois Tremblay made 25 saves for the Foreurs as Philippe Cadorette allowed five goals on 28 shots for the Drakkar. --- OLYMPIQUES 2 HUSKIES 1 GATINEAU, Que. -- Taylor Burke scored the winner 24 seconds into the third period as the Olympiques handed Rouyn-Noranda its third straight defeat. Marc Beckstead scored on the power play 57 seconds into the second period to give Gatineau (17-8-0) a 1-0 lead. Huskies (12-8-2) forward Jean-Sebastien Dea responded with a shorthanded goal late in the second. Anthony Brodeur made 19 saves for the Olympiques while Alexandre Belanger kicked out 17 shots for Rouyn-Noranda. wholesale jerseys cheap jerseys cheap nfl jerseys wholesale jerseys cheap soccer jerseys wholesale jerseys wholesale jerseys cheap nfl jerseys china ' ' '